There are a number of diets that are available nowadays that it is quite a daunting task to choose one. So, in order to help you decide, we’ll have to answer a few questions. First, what is your diet for? Are you just planning to lose weight? Or is there something else?
Second, are you a gym dude and you want to buff up? Third, do you want to decrease your chances of developing hypertension and heart problems in the future? Answering these questions will narrow the potential diets that you would want to take. If you were to answer the third question with a yes, then I can recommend you to the DASH diet.
DASH is an acronym that stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. If you take it literally, this is a diet program that was specifically designed for people who are at risk of hypertension. But, research has found that not only does it decrease the likelihood of elevated blood pressures, it also gave the participants a leaner and healthier physique. Not only that, but studies have also proven that the DASH diet also prevents cancer, heart disease, Diabetes and osteoporosis.
- Two Sodium Variants of the DASH diet. There are two variants of the DASH diet, the regular-sodium content and the lower sodium content DASH diets. If you’re going to take the regular route, you can consume as much as 2,300 mg of sodium a day. If you’re going for the low-sodium route, however, you’re only limited to 1500 mg of sodium per day.
- Eat healthy foods. The DASH diet is centered around eating more fruits and vegetables, while also supplying your body with other vitamins and minerals you can get from whole grains, poultry, nuts, and fish.
- Exactly what to eat? Here is a rundown of what you can eat in a day when you’re under the DASH diet program:
- Grains: 6 to 8 servings a day. Grains can include whole-wheat bread, Cereals, and Rice. Occasionally, you can eat pasta as well, provided that it is made fresh. Also, avoid adding any butter or fat.
- Vegetables: 4 to 5 servings a day. Eat lots of vegetables every day. Examples of vegetables you can eat are green leafy vegetables such as Cabbage and Broccoli, Tomatoes and Potatoes. You can eat either fresh or canned vegetables. If you opt or the canned vegetables, make sure to read the label and ensure that you get the one with the lowest sodium content.
- Fruits: 4 to 5 servings a day. Eat fruits that are rich in Potassium and Fiber. Such examples of these fruits are Avocados, Bananas, and Coconuts.
- Lean meat, poultry and fish: 6 or fewer servings a day. You can eat any meat provided you take off the skin and trim the fat. Salmon is a good choice because it contains a lot of B Vitamins and Omega 3- Fatty acids.
- Fats and oils: 2 to 3 servings a day. The only acceptable forms of fat in the DASH diet are Monosaturated fats. You can get these from Margarines, Mayonnaise and salad dressings.
These are the most important points to help you get started on the DASH diet. This is one of the most popular diets today, so start your DASH diet as soon as possible.